Among Mexicans and many Americans, the word ‘tortilla’ is commonly understood to be the type of corn or flour-based flat bread used to fill with things like rice, beans and meat. In Spain, however, ‘tortilla’ is more of a thick egg omelet, sometimes filled with things like shredded chicken and served as an appetizer or a sandwich on thick and hearty Spanish baguettes.
When I was a student in Spain, my host mother used to make this very big sandwich every time I had a class excursion out of town. It was completely filling and nourished me on a day full of fun and adventure outdoors. Tortilla is good cold and makes an excellent packed lunch or picnic dish.
For party food, you can even cut a tortilla into squares and put toothpicks in each bite for people to serve themselves a tapa, or a snack.
· 1 puond small potatoes of your choice
· 1 yellow onion
· 3 tablespoons olive oil
· 4 eggs
· 1 tablespoon whole milk or heavy cream
· salt, to taste (approx. 1/2 teaspoon)
· black pepper, to taste (approx 1/4 teaspoon)
· 1 loaf rustic sandwich bread
1. Remove the skins from the potatoes and slice them thinly in rounds. Do the same thing with the onions.
2. Using a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
3. Add the potato and sauté for two minutes, then add the onion. Stir to combine both ingredients and continue to cook for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Turn off the heat.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Add the cooked potato and onion mixture.
5. Using the same sauté pan used to cook the potato and onion, heat the remaining 1 Tb. oil in the frying pan and pour in the potato mixture. Cook for an additional 7-10 minutes, watching carefully so that it does not burn.
6. (Optional) If you want an extra brown top, place the entire pan (if it is oven-safe) under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully so that it does not burn.
7. Allow the tortilla to cool for several minutes.
8. Cut into sandwich-size pieces and enjoy with your favorite type of sandwich bread or loaf.