Just because it’s not summer, it doesn’t mean you can’t still indulge in a craving for fresh produce and a taste of sunny Italy…at least I don’t deny myself that when I find great organic tomatoes, fresh basil and of course the best fresh mozzarella around. It’s such a treat and takes away some of those winter blues.
Choose a variety of fresh tomatoes- yellow or red, if you like. And always, always choose fresh mozzarella, as that is the key ingredient. Fresh mozzarella can be found in logs in the cheese section of many grocers or in plastic containers in the dairy aisle near things like cottage cheese. It may come in small balls labeled, bocconcini, too.
You can find a few brands made with vegetarian rennet and enzymes (or just look for cheese that is suitable for vegetarians). Check out my Cheese & Dairy Page for brands and links to things I recommend.
Overall, it’s so easy to build and goes great as a snack, side to a meal or even put it together to throw onto a sandwich. Well, don’t actually throw it.
Here’s the recipe, enjoy!
- Fresh tomatoes, sliced
- Sea salt
- Fresh mozzarella or bocconcini
- Fresh basil leaves (as much as you like)
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Arrange tomatoes on a plate. Salt generously, or to taste.
- Top with sliced fresh mozzarella or small bocconcini.
- Drizzle with olive oil and add fresh basil leaves.
- Enjoy on toast, with bread or in a sandwich.