‘Eid Mubarak to you and your families! May all your fasts and prayers be accepted. We’ve fasted the month of Ramadan and now it’s time to enjoy the celebration of ‘Eid with family and friends.
Lamb dishes are usually a must on ‘Eid day celebrations, but every culture has a different, delicious way of making it. I love this way of preparing the lamb using ingredients common in Italian cooking, but you can substitute ingredients typical of your favorite cuisine.
Italian Lamb Stew
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 green peppers
- 4 large lamb chunks, approximately 3 ½ lbs.
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 dried red chile or ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Saute onions and green peppers until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- To the Dutch oven over the medium heat, add the lamb and saute to brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Add the black pepper.
- Return onions and green peppers to the pot and add the tomato sauce, water, basil and salt. Stir well and raise the heat to high.
- Add the garlic cloves and red chile. Allow to boil for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 2 hours.
- Serve while hot with risotto or a large noodle pasta like pappardelle.