One disappointment I have with commercial paletas today is their list of unhealthy added ingredients that don’t have to be there. That said, I’d much rather make my own, especially after learning how easy and quick these are to make.
I adjusted the recipe from Saveur magazine according to the fruit I had on hand and the amount I wanted to make, which was just enough for 2 people… who want 2 paletas each!
1/2 lb. frozen blueberries
a few frozen strawberries
1/8 cup whipping cream
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- To a blender, add a little water and the frozen berries.
- Strain the mixture through a seed if you’d like to remove any small seeds (optional).
- Into a bowl, add the pureed berry mixture, sugar, heavy cream and lemon juice. Whisk well.
- Pour the mixture into popsicle molds, but do not insert the sticks/handles. Freeze for one hour.
- Add the sticks/handles to the popsicle molds and continue to freeze for about 4-8 hours, or even overnight.
*Depending on the type of cream used, it may take a while for the paletas to freeze thoroughly.
**I find that running the molds over warm water for a few seconds and then squeezing the mold slightly to wiggle the paleta out of its shell helps remove it easily without losing the stick. It all depends on the type and quality of your molds.