My passion for soup intensifies every time I come up with a new way to blend different veggies. Since I’m usually always stirring in some kind of dairy into my soups- whether it’s milk, heavy cream or creme fraiche, this recipe is one I’m especially happy to show you because there is a secret ingredient in it that removes any need for dairy- perfect for vegans or those who are lactose-intolerant. Would you believe that the secret ingredient – cauliflower – is what makes it so creamy and milky? Without telling anyone there isn’t any cream in the dish, you might easily fool even your foodiest of foodie friends. Seriously. But there is another secret ingredient that is my go-to whenever I’m making soup and need a quick and convenient broth to add flavor and depth to all of my soups: the Saffron Road halal broths, whether it’s the vegetable, chicken or lamb broths. So you can start this dish with riced cauliflower OR fresh or frozen cauliflower florets. These are sautéed with chopped zucchini, some onion and garlic, too. Once the broth is added, the liquid should come to a boil. It should cook for about 20 minutes to soften all of the ingredients, then removed from heat and pureed with an immersion blender, one of my favorite kitchen gadgets to use when making my soups.
I then add in some fresh or dried herbs- always the fresh variety if and when you have those: parsley, dill, basil, cilantro- any or all of them. I like to serve this soup nice and thick with a drizzle of olive oil on top, but you could add more liquid- more broth or some water added to the broth. On the side, I love to serve this soup with Saffron Road’s Sea Salt Lentil Crackers, which are totally wheat free and a true gift to those who are avoiding wheat in their diets.
For that, I’m so thankful. Great halal products like Saffron Road’s broth and lentil crackers (which are also gluten free) that pay attention to the special diet needs so many people have today.If you haven’t tried these products yet, check out my Instagram account on 11/30/17 where I’ll be giving away a week’s worth of Saffron Road coupons to one randomly-selected winner so there is no excuse not to give these fabulous products a try with your family.
This post was sponsored by Saffron Road Food. All opinions, recipes and photos are generated by the author.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 head cauliflower florets, about 4 cups
- 1 carton Saffron Road Classic Culinary Vegetable Broth
- 2-4 tablespoons fresh or dried herbs such as parsley, basil, dill and/or cilantro
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil gently. Add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent.
- Add the cauliflower florets and the Saffron Road Classic Culinary Vegetable Broth and bring the liquid to a boil. Boil for about five minutes then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and use an immersion blender to blend the ingredients until the mixture is smooth. Add more liquid (either broth or water), if desired, until the consistency desired is reached.
- Ladle into bowls and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, alongside Saffron Road's Sea Salt Lentil Crackers for dipping and snacking.