Is it just me or are there cookies everywhere, right now? Not to mention cakes, chocolates, candy canes and the like. Even if one doesn’t celebrate Christmas, it’s still part of the social scene and family gatherings that just can’t seem to be avoided- and who refuses good chocolates, anyway? I’m not complaining, but I do need to have a plan for healthy recipes that help to compensate for all those sweets- and get me back on track quickly.
That’s where I turned to the beloved salad, and the Saffron Road products you hear me talk about so much. I often talk about their Crunchy Chickpeas, their halal broths, and conveniently made gluten-free dinners, but I want to remind you about their ready-made chicken products like the Tandoori Seasoned Chicken Nuggets. I’ve used these before on pizza and that was a hit. Now, this salad is another big hit at home, too. The recipe is super simple, too.
Most of the ingredients for this recipe area actually for the dressing: Olive oil, lemon juice, pomegranate vinegar……and spices: dried parsley, ginger, cumin, parsley, black pepper and fresh or dried garlic.
Plus the salad greens and red cabbage for color.
Some red onions and scallions, too, if desired.
The final recipe took less than 10 minutes to pull together, if the lettuce leaves and cabbage as well as onion and scallions were prepped ahead of time. The chicken can either be microwaved or baked in the oven, which takes a little longer. I love the light but evident South Asian seasoning because it’s a taste I don’t always make at home, but when I’m craving to have it quickly (and not just in a rice dish) it’s such a welcome flavor. Surprising to some, it really works on a salad like this, too.
Enjoy, get healthy and eat lots of vegetables. This is just one way to do that and I hope you’ll try it.
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup pomegranate vinegar or any flavored vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 1 package Saffron Road Tandoori Seasoned Chicken Nuggets
- To a small bowl, add mix the lemon juice with vinegar. Add the honey and whisk it all together until the liquids mix is smooth. Add the spices and whisk again. Drizzle in the olive oil slowly while whisking at the same time. Set aside.
- Prepare the chicken just before you plan to arrange the salad so that it's nicely hot when preparing the salad. Cut the pieces into smaller chunks, if desired.
- Once the chicken is ready, prepare a large bowl or plate. Place a drizzle of the salad dressing at the bottom, then layer the dish with the Romaine lettuce, then cabbage, red onion and scallions. Add the chicken, then the dressing on top. Serve immediately and reserve any unused dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator.