Lately I’ve been craving Asian food, or at least Asian-inspired dishes. I think it happens when my body is really lacking in certain nutrients and it craves a ton of the same vitamins and minerals that you can get from loading up a dish with veggies that contain Vitamin C and iodine-rich seafood. Whatever it is, I made just the dish that satisfied that craving and leaves me wanting to make this again, very soon.
To start- and to make life a lot more convenient without sacrificing quality, nutrition or taste- I used the Saffron Road Thai Mango Simmer Sauce. It has a medium heat level, which is great because not everyone likes things spicy right out of the box. I love the way mango pairs with spicy food- it really cools down the heat of the spices that I add, but doesn’t exactly extinguish the fun of the heat that I love about that spicy homemade Korean hot sauce I like to put on top (recipe is in my cookbook). Instead of a homemade hot sauce you can also add chili pepper flakes, too.
I love the way this packet smells as soon as you open it, the aroma of the mango is noticeable- that means they’re using real food in their products! It’s also gluten-free, vegan, halal-certified and NonGMO project certified. What a fantastic combination!
First, I pre-cook the spaghetti, drain it and set aside in a bowl to cool with a neutral-flavored oil mixed into it.
Next, I cook the onions, garlic and red bell peppers, sautéed lightly in extra virgin coconut oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
Next, add thinly cut carrots and broccoli stems. Cook until the just start to lose their crunch a bit, about 5 minutes.
Add the shrimp, salt, pepper and packet of Saffron Road’s Thai Mango Simmer Sauce.
Cook the shrimp until it turns pink, turning it every so often. Add fresh basil, green onions, roasted peanuts and the cooked noodles. Let this cook until everything gets nice and hot but keep turning the noodles around so they don’t stick to the pan.
Remove from heat and dig right in- just have some extra peanuts on the side for guests to add on their own; plus extra chili sauce or chili pepper flakes.
Check back for our Saffron Road coupon giveaway in the next few days so you can try some products for FREE!
- 1 pound cooked spaghetti or rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup broccoli stems, thinly sliced
- 1 pound tiger shrimp, cleaned and butterflied
- 1 7-ounce bag Thai Mango Simmer Sauce by Saffron Road
- 1 cup roughly chopped peanuts
- 3-5 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup red chili paste or sauce (optional)
- Cook the noodles and set aside in a bowl with a neutral-flavored oil such as grape seed or sunflower.
- In a medium saute pan, gently heat the oil. Add the red pepper, onion and garlic and also the salt and pepper. Cook until the onions become translucent.
- Add the carrots and broccoli and cook until they are softened. Add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink on both sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the Saffron Road Thai Mango Simmer Sauce. Stir it in until it's thoroughly blended and heated up well. Add about 1/3 cup of the peanuts and the basil leaves. Add crushed red pepper flakes if desired.
- Remove from heat and serve with peanuts and chili flakes or chili sauce on the side.