I wasn’t sure how I was going to post this recipe during the summer since everyone wants a good BBQ recipe that actually uses a grill, but here I was preparing an oven-baked BBQ chicken recipe because that’s what I do most of the time. I know how to grill, but I don’t like to start it out of fear of working with fire and coal. I know it’s strange and it’s something I do plan to conquer soon, but not at the moment…
So, now we find ourselves in the midst of a very rainy, very cold week in July. Odd, sure, but it’s a reality for us here in the Midwest. And cold or not, if it’s raining you won’t be able to grill in rainy weather. Perfect time for an oven-baked BBQ recipe that I’ve had plenty of time to make over and over again before sharing with you.
Here’s what you need:
Of course, dhabiha halal chicken. I use the drumsticks, but the thighs would work great here, too. Also, you’ll need sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, dark vinegar (I use date vinegar), honey and lime.
You’ll also need a pastry brush and wire whisk for stirring it all up well, as well as a bowl large enough for stirring up the sauce.
The first thing to do is to add olive oil to the bowl.
Add salt and pepper.
Then the honey.
And the vinegar. The recipe calls for date vinegar- if you don’t have it, you can use apple cider vinegar.
Give it a really good, long whisk so it thickens.
Now it’s ready to brush onto the chicken for the first of a few times.
It may seem like it’s a little runny when it goes on the first couple of times. But don’t worry.
Just do it a couple of times before putting into the oven.
Once in the oven, you’ll keep doing this every ten minutes (brushing each side) until it’s baked for at least 40-50 minutes and the sauce in your bowl gone.
This is what it looks like when done. I like to serve it up with some lime, for those who like to add a little zest or tart flavor to the sweetness in the sauce.
No forks allowed. Just have plenty of wet towels or hand wipes nearby…
Perfect indoor picnic food, wouldn’t you say?
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 cup honey
- 1/8 cup dark vinegar (i.e. date vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
- 6 pieces of chicken drumsticks (about 3 pounds)
- 6 lime wedges (optional)
- In a medium size bowl, add the olive oil, then pour in the salt and pepper. Add the honey and give it a whisk. Add the vinegar and give it another few whisks until the mixture is completely combined and thickened.
- Preheat an oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the chicken a few inches apart. Brush each piece with the sauce, then turn over and brush again. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Brush each piece with BBQ sauce 1-2 times. Continue baking. Repeat this process (brushing each side) every 10 minutes for 40-50 minutes, or until the chicken is golden in color and caramelizing.
- Serve immediately. Offer lime wedges alongside, if desired.
- *You'll also need a pastry brush and wire whisk for this recipe. Parchment paper is recommended for use on a baking sheet to make clean up a whole lot easier.
- **This recipe easily doubles and triples, so if more chicken is being served, simply adjust ingredient amounts accordingly.
- ***Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken, away from the bone. It should read at least 165° F.