Once you’ve had your healthy dose of pistachios for the day, don’t throw out those precious shells! Here are a few ways you can re-use them (just be sure to remove any salt before doing any of this, as salt can kill plants pretty readily).
- If you’re gardening on a small or large scale, you can use the shells to provide great soil drainage. No need to grind, just place at the bottom of the inside of the pot before adding dirt. They replace pebbles and other stones that are often purchased to provide proper drainage necessary to keep plants healthy.
- You can also put shells underneath the pots much like you would if making a gravel or pebble stand in a tray underneath.
- Pistachio shells can be used as a supplement to your garden mulch, so if you have any extra, simply throw them into the mix. It is best to soak the shells in water overnight first to prepare the tough shells for this job.
- If you have an issue with cats using your garden or potted plants as a place to relieve themselves, put pistachio shells all around the plant, covering the dirt. This should deter them from digging in and getting a little too cozy around your precious plants.
- If you’re a really serious gardener or just an eco-conscious person, you probably have a compost bin and know that you’ll never throw these precious shells out in the garbage because they’ll help turn the rest of your composted items into the black gold known as dirt.
*This post may have affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through the links and/or product advertisements I provide (at no extra cost to you).