Baked Phyllo Cups with Sauteed Mushrooms & Warmed Goat Cheese
These appetizers are so tasty it’s hard to eat just one. Your guests will probably want several, so be sure to make at least triple for the amount of people you’re expecting. You can also substitute ground beef or turkey for an alternative to this vegetarian version. If you’re not fond of goat cheese, fresh mozzarella is a fine substitute.
Makes 36 cups Ingredients for the Baked Phyllo Cups
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme, marjoram, sage and oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 12 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed (½ of a 16 oz. package)
Ingredients for the Sauteed Mushrooms
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1 lb. Baby Bella mushrooms, finely chopped and well-dried
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 5 ounces fresh goat or mozzarella cheese
Directions for the Baked Phyllo Cups
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Melt 8 tablespoons butter, and set aside.
- Remove and roll out the entire phyllo dough from the 16 oz. package and cut the entire thing in half.
- Place 1 sheet of the phyllo dough on a clean, dry surface; brush the entire surface generously with melted butter. Sprinkle lightly with a modest amount of the freshly cut herbs. Place another sheet of phyllo on top, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with another modest amount of the fresh herbs. Repeat with 2 more sheets of phyllo to total four sheets.
- Cut the stack into twelve 3-inch squares. Gently mold each square into a 3 inch muffin tin cup.
- Bake until the edges are just golden brown about 10 minutes. When done, set aside to cool.
- Repeat step 2 with 4 more sheets of phyllo dough, melted butter, and fresh herbs. Repeat again, for a total of 36 cups.
Directions for the Sauteed Mushrooms
- In a large sauté pan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the shallots, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in ½ of the mushrooms and cook until any water has evaporated. Add the garlic and the other ½ of the mushrooms and cook until any water has evaporated. Add the salt, pepper and other herbs.
- Continue to cook until the mushrooms have begun to firm up, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
Directions for Filling the Baked Phyllo Cups
- While the baked phyllo cups are still in the muffin tins and cooled, place ½ teaspoon goat cheese in the bottom of each phyllo cup.
- Place 1 teaspoon of the mushroom mixture on top of the goat cheese.
- Bake until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh, flat leaf parsley for décor and taste.
*Note: if you need to re-heat these for any reason, do so in the oven or a small toaster oven for about 2-3 minutes. Re-heating in the microwave will cause the cups to soften too much and lose their crispiness.
Recipe adapted from The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook
Custom Embroidered Halal Kitchen Aprons
Halal Kitchen Measuring Spoons
Citrus-Herb Grilled Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Tomatoes & Feta
Rice Paper Rolls with Mango & Shrimp Stuffing and Orange-Lime Asian Sauce