Everyone has some sort of comfort food. Some people love cakes for soothing comfort; others love chicken noodle soup or a hearty chili. For me, it’s always a sandwich (aka torta, in Spanish): thick bread, a bit of mayo and mustard, and always some sort of cheese- extra cheese.
Recently, I spent over a month in Cleveland with my family. After a few days there, I ventured out to do a bit of shopping to gather up some staples, realizing that a winter snowstorm was on its way. My mom and I mapped out our rounds: first, the Puerto Rican store, La Borincana, for our Latin foods. Next, we hit up some of our favorite Middle Eastern grocers for their fresh, uniquely thick pita breads (Assad’s Bakery) and wonderfully fresh feta cheese (Al Madina Imports).
Makes 1 cup
2 stainless steel bowls
saucepan (smaller than the bowls)
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon ground mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a small saucepan to a boil.
- In a small stainless steeel bowl, place the eggs, vinegar and water.
- In a separate bowl, add ground mustard , salt, pepper and sugar.
- Place bowl of egg mixture (from Bowl 1) over heat and whisk immediately. Whisk voracioulsy until mixture just begins to thicken. Remove from heat immediately.
- Add ground seeds mixture (from Bowl 2) and whisk rapidly.
- Pour the oil slowly into the combined mixture while whisking at the same time. Serve immediately or refrigerate if using at a later time. Will keep fresh in the refrigerator for approximately one week.
Big Fat Feta Sandwich
Makes 1/2 sandwich (but it’s hearty!)
3 slices Feta cheese, sliced thick and drizzled with olive oil and dried parsley
thick pita bread, or any type of hearty bread
chopped Romaine lettuce
1/2 avocado, sliced thick
yellow peppers, roughly chopped
Homemade mayonnaise (recipe above)
- Cut one large round of pita in half and half again, lenghtwise.
- Place Feta on one side of the inside bread pieces. On the other, place all the other ingredients.
- Warm the half with Feta cheese inside the microwave for 30 seconds or in a toaster oven for about 1 minute, or until the cheese is slightly melted.
- Bring the two halves together and enjoy some good old-fashioned, hearty sandwich comfort!