If you’re a regular reader of My Halal Kitchen, you probably know that I keep frozen bananas in my refrigerator at all times- not because I necessarily must have a stash on hand, but because we just normally don’t eat them fast enough. When they’re mature- just beginning to brown- I throw them in the freezer and save for some of our favorite desserts, like Banana Blueberry Loaf.
Now, this homemade pudding is another new favorite. Your halal kitchen will smell delicious while this is cooking.
Homemade Banana Pudding
2 cups whole milk
1 Tb. cornstarch
½ vanilla bean, split open
1 cinnamon stick
1 ½ Tb. pure cane organic sugar
5 medium-size bananas, a bit mature (some spots on them)
1. In a large bowl, combine the whole milk and cornstarch by whisking well.
2. In a medium-large saucepan, heat the milk/cornstarch mixture over medium-low heat. Continue to whisk for about 1 minute.
3. Add the vanilla bean, cinnamon stick and sugar.
4. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas with a fork or potato masher.
5. Add the bananas to the saucepan. Use the whisk to incorporate the bananas into the milk. Reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
6. Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon and vanilla before serving. Serve warm or chilled.