‘Eid Mubarak to all of you and your families! What are you doing to celebrate ‘Eid? What have you given as gifts to your family, friends and neighbors? What have you eaten and shared with those you love? I have so many questions…
Alhamdullilah, this ‘Eid I’ve really gotten into the spirit of feeling the occasion. I’ve decorated the house with a color scheme of silver and turquoise (two of my favorite color combinations ever), wrapped the ‘Eid gifts with paper that matches the decor. For so many years, I wasn’t really feeling ‘Eid, but this year, I’ve actively decided upon making the holiday something to get excited about… How about you?
I’m so excited about how quick and easy this recipe is for you to make. I made these and other delicious halal desserts for a recent ‘Eid bazaar, which you can more read about here)
If you’re invited to a party tonight, you can run out and get the ingredients, mix and bake in less than an hour, total. Wrap them in pretty paper or place in a box with tissue paper for a host gift. They’ll love it and appreciate the edible gifts that add to their dessert table. These can be made a day ahead of time.
Coconut & Chocolate Macaroons
Makes 12 Macaroons
3 1/4 cups large dried but moist coconut flakes
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon no-alcohol vanilla extract
3 egg whites
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
ice cream scooper
small sweater box or shoe box
- Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips and mix well, using your hands to blend everything and help the egg bind all the ingredients.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips a little at a time.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Use an ice cream scooper to grap the exact amount of batter thatt fits inside the scooper. Push the batter in to pack it and scrape off any excess. Drop onto parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving macaroons about one-inch apart.
5. Bake for 17 minutes, or until macaroons are golden brown on the top and on the bottoms.
6. Allow to cool on the paper for just a few minutes. Using a spatula, transfer over to a wire cooling rack until completely cooled.
7. Line a box with tissue paper and gently place macaroons inside, apart from one another. Cover until ready to eat.