If you’re anything like me and sometimes just really get a craving for hot and spicy Thai food, or any type of Asian food but don’t have the time or energy to go out shopping for ingredients you don’t always need on hand, I’ve got a great recipe for you. It’s quick, easy, doesn’t require a whole lot of ingredients and has one special ingredient that makes life a whole lot easier. ‘And it’s healthy, too: broccoli, carrots, celery, garlic, onion, cilantro. Boneless, skinless chicken tenders (or you could use beef instead). Most of the flavoring comes from this Thai Red Curry Simmer Sauce by Saffron Road, which takes the dish up a whole other notch. I like to slice my veggies on an angle for this type of dish- they cook nicely and it looks nice, too. You can start out by using any type of oil you like, but for an authentic flavor, I would use either sesame oil or extra virgin coconut oil, if you have it. If not, just use a neutral oil like grapeseed oil so that it doesn’t overpower the dish and its other flavors. Start out by sautéeing the onion and celery in the oil, then gradually adding the carrots, chopped broccoli and the chicken, which needs to brown. Medium to high flame is recommended. Then add any dried herbs and spices you like- I added black pepper and basil, but white pepper and ginger would be nice, too. Next, the objective is to brown the chicken well. Then grab one packet of the Thai Red Curry Sauce. And pour it on…but again, only after the chicken has browned. Go ahead and use the whole packet- it’s going to be delicious. Add a little bit of the Saffron Road’s Traditional Chicken Broth (halal), too. It’ll help keep the dish moist. Cover and cook on low for about 15-20 minutes. That should give you enough time to chop up some cilantro and cut wedges of lime. And make a little rice to go with the dish, served while it’s piping hot. Now I’m hungry.
Thai Red Curry Chicken & Vegetables Stir Fry
By August 2, 2013Published:
- Yield: 3-4 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 35 mins
This Asian dish is perfect for a weeknight meal, a potluck dish or even something that can easily be doubled for a small gathering of guest for a dinner party. Either way, it's quick and simple enough to put on the table tonight.
- 2 tablespoons oil (sesame, coconut, grapeseed)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs (i.e. basil, black pepper, white pepper, garlic)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or, to taste
- 2 pounds chicken tenders boneless, skinless
- 1 packet Thai Red Curry Simmer Sauce (Saffron Road)
- 1/2-1 cup classic chicken broth (Saffron Road)
- fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 4-6 lime wedges
- Heat the oil in a medium to large size sauté pan. Add the onion, celery and garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Add the broccoli and carrots and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add chopped fresh cilantro on top just before serving. Serve on a bed of sticky rice with lime wedges on the side.
- Add the chicken and brown well on both sides, about 3-5 minutes each side.
- Next, add the Thai Red Curry Simmer Sauce packet and stir to combine well with other ingredients in the pan.
- Add the chicken broth. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for about 15-20 minutes.