I love really light meals in Ramadan and much of the time those involve fish and seafood. What’s great about this particular dish is that you can actually use frozen shrimp or fish an let it defrost and cook in the pan- perfect for the weeknight meal rush- especially in Ramadan.
For this dish, I use large frozen shrimp. Fresh garlic, limes, fresh cilantro, a jar of roasted peppers and it’s always going to be helpful to have a bag of the Saffron Road Simmer Sauce on hand because that elevates the dish to new heights with all the flavor that’s just packed in there. I particularly chose the new Thai Mango Simmer Sauce because it’s new and I hadn’t tried it yet, but also because I am craving tropical flavors in the summer.
The recipe is quite easy in that all you have to do is start with the base- but the important base here is using coconut oil as your flavoring oil. I know, I know about the “new” research on coconut oil and truth me told, I’m not really buying it that it’s not healthy for you. When you use extra virgin, organic and sustainably sourced coconut oil, in moderation (just like anything else), then you are doing the best you can to use the best possible type of coconut oil. That’s just my opinion and my take on it…
So, in this dish, I gently heat the coconut oil, add the garlic, green peppers and the shrimp.
Next, add the roasted red peppers, and don’t worry if some of the vinegar from the jar makes it into this dish. It’s fine and adds some flavor.
The smell is amazing at this point. And all you really have to do is combine with a spoon.
Then, add the Thai Mango Simmer Sauce.
That smells so good, too. And it’s also gluten-free and halal. Great combo.
Next, all you do is let it cook for about 15 minutes on low heat. Then, it’s ready to serve.
You want rice? Serve it with rice? Want couscous? Thai noodles? This dish will go great with absolutely anything as a base, if you want. I actually put them in a tortilla to make tacos- but that’s another story..
To find Saffron Road products like this Thai Mango Simmer Sauce, go the store locator on their site here and be sure to follow them on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook @saffronroadfood.
Enjoy the recipe- I think you’re gonna love it!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin organic coconut oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon diced jalapeño
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 1 roasted red pepper, thinly sliced and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons shallots
- 1 packet Saffron Road Thai Mango Simmer Sauce
- Fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, gently heat the coconut oil.
- Once warmed, add the green bell pepper, jalapeño and garlic. Then add the shrimp, salt, pepper and shallots Cook until the shrimp change their color to pink.
- Pour in the Thai Mango Simmer Sauce and stir well. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 10-15 minutes, checking to make sure there is enough liquid in pan and it's not drying out.
- Remove from heat and serve with fresh cilantro and lime to top.