Citrus-Herb Grilled Chicken Lettuce Wraps With Tomatoes & Feta
There’s nothing more enjoyable in the summer than no-fuss food. Fresh produce and great halal chicken are all you need in this recipe, allowing time for more fun in the sun without sacrificing great flavor.Serves 4-6
Ingredients for the Grilled Chicken
- Herb & Citrus Sauce (recipe follows)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless chicken meat (breast or thigh), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 bunch red leaf lettuce
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- ½ lb. fresh feta cheese, crumbled
Ingredients for the Herb & Citrus Sauce
- ¼ tsp. whole cumin, toasted
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- ¾ cup fresh mint leaves
- ¾ cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- zest of 4 small lemons or 3 large ones (preferably organic)
- zest of 4 limes (preferably organic)
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. sea salt
Directions for the Herb & Citrus Sauce
- Grind together the toasted (over dry heat) cumin and red pepper flakes. Measure ½ tsp. of this combination.
- Blend the cumin-red pepper, fresh herbs, garlic, zest of lemons and limes, black pepper and salt in a bowl until well combined.
Directions for the Grilled Chicken
- In a large glass bowl, combine the herb & citrus sauce and the oil with the chicken, covering each piece of meat with the herbs and oil.
- Heat a grill or an indoor grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Grill chicken over direct heat until meat is cooked through, about 4-6 minutes per side, or until the juices run clear. Be careful not to over-cook the meat or it may become dry.
Directions To Make the Wraps
- Clean and dry the lettuce leaves. Remove seeds from the tomatoes and chop finely.
- Add chicken to the lettuce leaves, top with tomatoes and sprinkle with feta. Wrap the lettuce leaves around the chicken and toppings.
- Serve by arranging the wraps in a platter for guests or arrange all ingredients in separate plates for a help-yourself style serving.
Halal Kitchen Measuring Spoons
Rice Paper Rolls with Mango & Shrimp and Orange-Lime Asian Sauce
Baked Phyllo Cups with Sauteed Mushrooms & Warmed Goat Cheese