When I’m looking for a quick way to cook and eat healthy, I begin thinking about what I can make in a tagine. They’re easy to make one pot meals in and because they have a conical lid, you can steam the contents either while cooking or when it’s out of the oven and resting. My latest creation was with shrimp and the Saffron Road Harissa Simmer Sauce– a great combination and only minimal ingredients are needed to add to it.
In this case, I added green peppers, garlic, onion, cilantro and parsley.
The main ingredient is large shrimp with the shells on. Boil for 5-7 minutes in water to cook them slightly.
Once cooked (they turn pink), drain the water and let them cool.
Peel the shrimp of all the shells. Place in the tagine with the cut peppers, garlic and onion.
Add a bit of ras-al-hanout, if you have it. It’s not necessary because the Harissa Simmer Sauce has spices in it already.
Pour it over the shrimp and other ingredients. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Stir everything up before cooking then cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Once it comes out of the oven, put a lid on it and let it steam for about 5 minutes.
Serve with a side of pearl couscous or rice, if you have it.
It’s even good with just a nice big piece of rustic bread.
- 31-40 large frozen shrimp
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Ras al Hanout spice mix (optional)
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 packet Saffron Road Harissa Simmer Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups pearl couscous, cooked
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Boil shrimp in water for about 5-7 minutes on medium-high, or until they turn pink. Drain water, let shrimp cool and remove any shells.
- Place cooked shrimp in a tagine bowl. Add the water, Ras el Hanout spice, onion, garlic, salt, parsley and cilantro. Pour the Saffron Road Harissa Simmer Sauce on top. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes, uncovered. Meanwhile, use the stovetop to cook the couscous.
- Remove from the oven and put the cone-shaped tagine lid on to cover. Let it steam for about 5-10 minutes.
- Plate and serve shrimp dish with couscous on the side.