Open-Faced Strawberry & Spinach Salad on Pita
You might notice that I love the combination of spinach and strawberries, but it’s because it’s a really great one. I know in a drink (like this one) it might be odd, but in a salad it could be just as odd to some people who have never tried it. Trust me, you really should try this. It may not be the best thing to take to work or school because unless you fold it or take a knife and fork to cut it (or pre-cut it) in a circular storage, you may struggle to eat in a mess-free way- sorry!
I used really simple ingredients that you can find pretty much anywhere:
They mostly came from a Trader Joe’s shopping excursion but if you have a farmers market nearby or grow your own, that would be so much nicer:
Basically, it’s just a few simple things- olive oil, lemon, salt (I used pink Himalayan salt, but you can use any that you have), black pepper, dates, whole milk feta cheese, strawberries, sunflower seeds (although any kind of nut or seed would be nice- almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, etc.). I also use Kontos brand bread because it’s certified-halal, which means there aren’t any mono or dyglicerides or dough conditioners stemming from non-halal ingredients.
Making these are pretty simple and can be doubled, tripled, etc. very quickly for a crowd. It’s a nice idea for a spring or summer brunch in that you can make this into a buffet and people can sort of create their own version if you have all the ingredients out for them to use. You can grill or heat up the bread first, if you like.
I put the spinach on the bottom, but even before that if you have a really good homemade mayonnaise, layer that on the bottom because once you add all the ingredients plus the olive oil and lemon, it’s going to be even more delicious.
Just start adding your ingredients from there, or as they say, ‘build your salad’.
And there you have it- just use a fork and knife to cut up like a pizza or simply fold it in half, and it’s pretty easy to eat.
I loved this salad so much that I’ve made even more versions of it- check back for more ideas and let me know in the comments section below if you have your own that I should try.
- 2 pieces whole wheat flat pita bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half.
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pitted and freshly chopped Medjool dates
- 2 pinches sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of one fresh lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare all the ingredients by cutting and cleaning them first.
- On each slide of bread, spread the mayonnaise (this helps the spinach to stick to each piece).
- Add 1 cup spinach to each piece of bread. Sprinkle on ½ cup strawberries and 1 tablespoon feta cheese on each piece. Add one tablespoon each of the sunflower and Medjool dates.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. Divide the mixture in half and drizzle on each pita sandwich just before serving.