It’s been an eventful couple of weeks around here. I’ve been visiting farmers’ markets everywhere I can here in Chicago and back home in Ohio. Did you see all the Ohio produce that I was able to capture?
With little time to spare on cooking some days and still wanting healthy homemade snacks, I came up with the idea of making small batches of hummus for myself because once you get the hang of making it, it’s easy to do small or large batches.
They’re even great for taking yourself on a picnic or packing a jar up for your family.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup dry garbanzo beans (chickpeas) or 2- 1/8 cup cooked garbanzos
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 roasted garlic cloves (if using fresh raw cloves, be mindful that the garlic flavor will become stronger the longer you keep the hummus)
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice of 2 small lemons (no seeds at all)
- Good quality olive oil, to taste
- Extra cooked chickpeas, for garnish (optional)
- For garnish, use sumac, fresh parsley or smoked paprika (optional)
If starting with dry garbanzos, soak overnight (or for about 3-4 hours) then boil for 1- 1/2 hours.
Add the water and lemon juice and continue to blend until completely smooth, at least one minute.
*Prep time included here assumes the use of pre-cooked garbanzos.*
*Cook time indicates blending time in this recipe.*
Dharma Alif Premium Kashmiri Namkeen Tea 500g,(250gx2) Noon Chai, Pink Tea, Sheer Chai, Samovar Tea$41.85
Vital Tea Peshawari Afghani Kahwa 100% Natural Green Tea 220 Gram Plastic Bottle by Eastern Products$9.99
Eden Foods Organic Garbanzo Beans, 29 Ounce Can – 12 per case.$63.16
365 by WFM Organic Peeled Garlic 6oz, 6 OZ$3.49
Celtic Sea Salt Makai Pure Gourmet Sea Salt, 8 Ounce$8.82 – $8.98
THYA Organic Chickpeas | Organic Garbanzo Beans, 4 LB (4 x 1 LB Packs)$18.99
Shish Tawook Seasoning 7 Oz. – Mediterranean flavorful seasoning$12.99
Mina Harissa Hot Sauce, Excite Your Senses with Gourmet Moroccan Heat, Spicy Red Chili Sauce with a Tangy Twist (10…$9.95
Tomato Cherry Grape Organic, 1 Pint$2.99