I love a good party dip- and a good party! No matter where you are in the world, it seems, you need a good snack/appetizer/pre-meal munchie to go with the food and warm up the guests as they arrive. During Ramadan, however, the schedule is a little bit different. Do you really think about party foods, dips with chips or crackers or are you really just trying to get actual food on the table?
I think if you’re having guests over who will stay a little longer than just for the main Iftar meal, you’ll want to give people something to munch on with drinks, especially if they stay into the night.
Since it’s summer, why not pick the freshest herbs from your grocer, farmers market or your own garden and add lots of them to a cream-based dip and serve it up with some wonderful, light oven baked lentil crackers and raw veggies, or crudités?
I use herbs like fresh chives, cilantro, basil, parsley, dill, oregano- whatever I have that is growing nicely and super fresh and beautiful- it’s going into this dip! It’s best to pick in the morning, by the way, when plants are nice and fresh with morning dew.
I do about half yogurt and half sour cream, a pinch of salt and pepper and all the fresh herbs (about 2-4 heaping tablespoons).
Raw veggies can be anything you like and/or have on hand. I like Persian cucumbers, colorful carrots and even pretty lettuce leaves that are good for scooping the dip.
For a healthy, crunchy cracker, I’m now using the new Lentil Crackers with Sea Salt, Rosemary Herb or Cracked Pepper- all by Saffron Road as a part of their new line of healthy snacks.
As they say, they’re “dense in protein, high in fiber, and low in fat”– and I can taste that. They’re also gluten-free and part of the Non-GMO project, which I’m certainly passionate about supporting in all of our foods.
Stay tuned in the next few days as I’ll be hosting a giveaway for Saffron Road coupons so you can try these new oven baked Lentil Crackers AND Chips for FREE! Sign up to my newsletter for more details.
- 1 cup whole-milk yogurt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped herbs (i.e. oregano, basil, chives/chive flowers, parsley, cilantro)
- 2 cups Saffron Road Oven Baked Lentil Crackers (Sea Salt, Cracked Red Pepper, Rosemary Herb)
- 1 cup each of veggies sliced lengthwise (cucumbers, carrots) and lettuce leaves
- Lemon for garnish and for squeezing into the dip (optional)
- In a medium bowl or the serving bowl you plan to use, combine the yogurt and sour cream. Whisk the two together until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Add the salt, pepper (if using) and gently stir in the freshly chopped herbs.
- Arrange the Saffron Road Lentil Crackers and fresh veggies on the platter surrounding the dip
- Serve immediately or keep chilled until the time of serving