Tandoori Spiced Chicken Pizza
Two of my favorite things and my favorite flavors combined to make this recipe we’ve been enjoying a lot this Ramadan– pizza and Tandoori Chicken. To make it super quick and serve as an appetizer at Iftar, I cut the finished pizza into squares. We love to have it just after breaking our fast with something to drink, or if I’m really strapped for time it’ll be part of the main meal with a side salad. I am also known to sometimes have this for Suhoor, as well- lots of good protein here!
As simple as it sounds to plop frozen chicken on a frozen pizza, there is a strategy that makes it exceptionally good. First of all, the Tandoori Seasoned Chicken Nuggets are wonderfully spiced- not too hot, but definitely flavorful. If you put them in the microwave as opposed to in the oven, they’ll get a little moisture at the bottom of the plate, which adds extra flavor to the finished pizza. Either way, you must cook them first or they will not cook thoroughly on the pizza in the oven and since they come frozen they may even make the pizza quite soggy that way.
Once the chicken is cooked, I cut it on the side. You get more pieces this way and it looks nice and it also warms nicely in the oven since they’re no longer thicker pieces sitting on top of an entire pizza that needs to cook and whose cheese needs to melt- usually in or around 10 minutes, too.
It looks good before even going into the oven.
Fresh herbs as toppings here are also a huge must-have. I used green onions/scallions and fresh cilantro, but parsley works as does mint or even red or white onions, finely chopped.
I add those plus some red pepper flakes and a drizzle or scary of olive oil all over the top.
I also add more fresh herbs when it comes out of the oven, too. I then cut it into squares and serve- you could add some toothpicks here if you’re making appetizers out of the pizza.
We’ve been making two pizzas at a time and they seem to disappear pretty quick around my house, but they’re also filling so although it’s ‘pizza’ it can be quite a meal after a long day of fasting. Just be sure to get a good quality pizza or make your own dough- get that recipe here.
- 1 ready-made pizza with cheese
- 1 box Tandoori Seasoned Chicken Nuggets by Saffron Road
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Sunflower Seed oil, or any other neutral flavored oils such as grape seed oil
- 2-4 tablespoons chopped scallions or onion greens
- 2-4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook the Tandoori Seasoned Chicken Nuggets according to directions (either microwave or oven).
- Let the chicken cool slightly before cutting along the side to give them a slanted edge. Conserve any of the broth/liquids left at the bottom of the pan.
- Place the chicken evenly around the pizza. Pour the broth/liquids on top. Add the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and olive oil all over the surface. Top with 2 tablespoons each of the cilantro and onion greens.
- Bake according to pizza's directions (usually around 10-12 minutes at 425 degrees F).
- Remove pizza from oven and let cool slightly. Top with remaining cilantro and onion greens. Cut into square pieces if serving more than two people.
Wow! That looks delicious, Yvonne.
OMG that looks so good!!! 🙂
Yummy that looks delicious
1 ready-made pizza with cheese? Can you elaborate? Which brand did you buy?
i like your food it look nice