In a rush to get out the door in the morning, it’s often difficult to make something portable, easy to handle and tasty, all in one. I came up with this very simple and quick breakfast sandwich and would like to share it with you busy (or not so busy) folks out there.
Here’s what you need (per person):
- 2 bread slices- any of your favorite. I choose Trader Joe’s Italian Loaf, which arrives pre-cut
- 2 small pats of softened, real butter for each slice of bread (no margarine, please!!)
- 1-2 teaspoons créme frâiche (French style cultured cream) for each slice of bread. I like to use Vermont Butter & Cheese Company’s Creme Fraiche, sold at Trader Joe’s
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite jam for each slice of bread. I love the Organic, Reduced Sugar Raspberry Preserves sold at Trader Joe’s
Toast your bread, or warm to preference. Then, spread the softened butter on each slice of bread, followed by the creme fraiche and then finally the jam or preserves you’ve chosen. It’s that simple!
I love to pair this breakfast with a homemade cup of cappuccino made my way. Here’s what you need:
- Trader Joe’s Fair Trade Organic Bolivian Blend Medium Dark Roast, Sweet Caramel Flavor, Medium Body Coffee. It comes whole bean in a 14 oz. container.
- Whole milk
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
- organic raw cane sugar, to taste.
Grind the coffee in a coffee grinder. If you have whole cinnamon, just put about 1/2 cinnamon stick in the coffee grinder at the same time so the flavors mix well. The amount of ground coffee that you put in your coffee maker depends upon the size of your coffee maker and the amount of coffee you would like to prepare. While my coffee is heating up, I put my milk in the microwave (1/3 of the coffee cup I’m going to drink out of). When both the coffee and milk are done, I add about 2 tsps. of sugar and enjoy it with my breakfast, nice and warm.
As you can see, I am a fan of Trader Joe’s. They have a great variety of healthy food choices with fewer and less complicated ingredients in their products than I have found elsewhere. Their prices are not unreasonable and often times cheaper than the large supermarkets in my area. Their excellent customer service should not go unnoticed- it really is the best around. Find a Trader Joe’s in your area by clicking here.