This is a sponsored recipe post by Knorr® brand. They provide halal-certified bouillon, a product that is used in this recipe.
Often times we think of roasted chicken as that comfort food that should be consumed in the fall and winter months, since it warms up the house and makes everything smell so good and welcoming, but one of the best ways to enjoy a roasted chicken (in my opinion) is with wonderful summer lemons and fresh herbs. In this case, oregano and thyme, fresh from the garden- or the nearest grocery store that carries potted herbs!
No matter what you think about butter, it works with chicken. I stuff pats of butter under the skin and it makes a world of difference in browning and moistening the chicken. I also stuffed the cavity with fresh garden herbs and lemon slices, so the flavor really gets in there good.
To this pan, which is just a roasting pan, I added whatever I had on hand: potatoes, onions, some dried herbs. I also added water and some Knorr Halal Chicken Bouillon to flavor that liquid which is going to really flavor those veggies on the bottom and make a full meal.
Cook for 45 minutes to 1.5 hours in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. I usually go by the color of the chicken. I like it a nice golden brown, crispy skin.
Since yo already have potatoes in this dish, you don’t actually need more carbs, but it’s not a bad idea to have some light and fluffy rice or couscous on the side.
If you make a few roasted chickens, this would be great to serve on Eid, too. Just prep the chicken and stick it in the oven- no more work needed!
- 2 potatoes, skinned and diced
- 2 onions, cut in quarters
- 1 whole roasted chicken fryer, skin-on
- 1 large lemon, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 5-7 fresh sprigs oregano
- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into 1 tablespoon pieces each
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 Knorr Halal Chicken Bouillon cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To a large, deep bottom baking pan, add the potatoes and onions. Push off to the sides of the pan in order to make room for the chicken in the middle.
- To prepare the chicken, remove from packaging and pat the bird dry with a paper towel. To the cavity of the bird, add half the lemon slices and half the fresh thyme and oregano.
- Pull the skin of the breast of the bird and add half of the butter (4 tablespoons). Flip the bird over and pull the skin from the back and add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Flip the bird back over so the breast side is facing up. Season the bird generously with the salt, pepper and dried parsley flakes. Drizzle the whole bird with olive oil.
- Add the water to the pan and add the Knorr Halal Chicken Bouillon cubes, one on each side of the pan.
- Roast in the oven, uncovered, for 45 minutes-1.5 hours, or until the skin of the bird is completely browned and golden.
- Remove from heat and cover with aluminum foil to let rest for about 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve with rice or couscous.