A couple of weeks ago, I was part of a Culinary Challenge at the Muslim Women’s Alliance Annual Celebration Luncheon where three Muslim women were honored for their service to humanity. Each gave heartfelt speeches about their work and really touched everyone who listened- there were lots of tears in the crowd, to say the least.
One of the women receiving an award (the youngest ever to be honored in this way by MWA), Tasmiha Khan, is actually a former student of mine who began the non-profit organization called Brighter Dawns, which strives to provide preventative and health care education to the most impoverished areas of Bangladesh. Before reading on, please take a moment to vote for their project in the Dell Social Innovation Challenge.
So, the very last event of the luncheon was the friendly competition- the culinary challenge. Pastry Chef and former Top Chef Just Desserts Contestant Malika Ameen had a team of two sous chefs on her side, as did I on mine. We each had a short window of time to complete two dishes- one savory and one sweet.
Sauteed Bananas Over Pound Cake
By March 22, 2013Published:
- Yield: 2 plates (4 Servings)
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 20 mins
Warning: this dish is meant to be shared. Do not attempt to eat the whole thing yourself as it contains unnecessarily high amounts of butter, cream and milk. There's a reason why there's barakah (blessing) in sharing all those calories!
- 1 zest lemon
- 1/2 cup almonds chopped or sliced
- 2-4 pieces pound cake sliced thick
- 2 firm bananas thinly sliced
- 1 piece milk or dark chocolate cold
- 4 tablespoons butter cold
- 4 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon raw cane sugar
- 1/2 cup raspberries fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- Zest the lemon and cut or slice the almonds, pound cake and bananas. Grate the chocolate, too. Place two pieces of the pound cake on dessert plates.
- In a small sauté pan place four pats of butter and heat on medium-high. Add the cut bananas. Once they cook for a few minutes and the butter begins to froth, add the condensed milk, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon. Add sugar, if desired.
- Pour the mixture over the pound cake. Quickly add a bit of lemon zest, almonds and grated chocolate over the top, then a few dollops of the whipped cream, which will melt quickly. That means- serve it immediately!
- For the Whipped Cream (which makes 1/2 cup), use a stand mixer or hand held beaters to whip the combo of both 1 tablespoon sugar plus 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream. Place both ingredients in a bowl and whisk for five minutes on high. If using a stand mixer, be sure use the whisk attachment.