Lately I’ve been quite reminisce about my trip to Tangiers, Morocco in the mid-90′s. It was my first time in Africa and I’d never been to a place as exotic and strikingly different from the U.S. or Europe. The flavors, colors and scents were ones I felt instantly comfortable with and the intricate designs and deep-colored decor using uniquely Moroccan textiles have been a love of mine ever since. So, I enlisted my friends over at Sakina Design, the dynamic and creative duo of Jontie and Pik, who agreed to share their expertise with all of us about how we can create our own Moroccan getaway no matter where we live…
Morocco has a certain allure to it. From its beautiful beaches and breath-taking deserts, to it’s friendly people and delicious cuisine. As a result, it’s a favorite vacation destination, an exotic retreat from our modern hectic lives.
Adding to the experience is the beautiful interior décor of this region, with their use of rich colors, beautiful carpets, intricately carved furniture and lanterns, along with a generous helping of pillows and fabrics.
So what can we do to bring this exotic and relaxing Moroccan escape into our own homes?
Here are 5 easy tips:
1. Color Palette – Use rich colors reminiscent of a desert sunset, with a combination of reds, oranges, yellows, and browns.
2. Paint – When painting your room, choose a color that will coordinate well with your carpets, fabrics, furniture and accessories. And don’t forget to paint the ceiling and even the mouldings. Finally, use different colors and shades to add interest.
3. Furniture – Moroccan interior design is marked by intricately carved dark wood furniture. Try to choose tables with hexagon and octagon shapes. For living rooms, line your walls with low-lying seating areas, covered in richly colored pillows.
4. Accessories – Accessorize your room with Moroccan lamps. In addition to the use of lamps for mood lighting, candles and candle holders add a whole new dimension of warmth to the room. And don’t forget the fabric! Fabric curtains, fabric hanging from the walls and ceilings, fabric over the bed and even draped over furniture. This will soften the room and add additional warmth and texture.
5. Flooring – Cover your floors with rugs. Not just one, but multiple rugs with different colors, patterns and textures. Again, adding depth and warmth to the room.
And there you have it! For more detailed advice on how Sakina Design can help you create your very own Moroccan escape, email them at customerservice [at] sakinadesign [dot] com. The best place to start is with a photo of your space.
(Use the coupon below to get started!)
1. Benjamin Moore 2169-10
2. Alhambra by Sakina Design, $149.99
3. Muhammad (SAWS) by Sakina Design, $149.99
4. Oxidized Filigree Spheres by Terrain, $498
5. Loring sofa by Room&Board, $1099
7. Moroccan Pillow by Z Gallerie, $59.95
12. Rotunda Coffee Table by Anthropologie, $598
14. Jill Rosenwald Fallon Rug by Surya, $385
Sakina Design was founded by the husband and wife team of Jontie + Pik. Their passion is to share the beauty of Islamic art and culture by creating contemporary interpretations of traditional Islamic art. To learn more, visit them online at www.SakinaDesign.com.